Caps Advanced Stats Player of the Month: November 2014
In October 2014, Alex Ovechkin took home the Caps advanced stats Player of the Month award.
For this month, I’ve changed up the categories a little bit. Here are the categories
1) Relative shot attempts-The amount of shot attempts in the Caps favor when a player is on the ice vs. when he’s off the ice. The higher the number, the better
2) SA For/60-Caps shot attempts for per 60 minutes of ice time for an individual player. The higher the number, the better.
3) SA Against/60-Opponent shot attempts per 60 minutes of ice time for an individual player. The lower the number the better.
4) Zone starts-The percentage of shifts a player starts in the offensive zone. The lower the number, the “tougher” the minutes a player is being assigned.
5) Quality of Competition-The quality of competition a player is skating against, measured by TOI of his opponents.
Scoring System: For categories 1, 4, and 5, the player in first place will get 5 points, second place-4, down to 5th place getting 1. For categories 2 and 3, the points awarded are halved, so first place gets 2.5, second place 2.0 and so on. This is because categories 1 through 3 are all possession-based, so it may be a little redundant to award 5 points for all of them.
A player has to have skated 50+ minutes in November to have qualified.
Relative shot attempts
Shot attempts For/60
Shot attempts Against/60
|Player||Zone Start %||Points|
Quality of Competition
The Caps advanced stats Player of the Month for November 2014 is Tom Wilson
Photo by Amanda Bowen, RRBG Photography
All stats from War on Ice